The Cause

As the last chapter of my time spent in Wales I'll be doing a 10 day long sponsored cycle (5-15 May) round the country (approx. 1000 kilometres) to support Tŷ Hafan, a Wales based charity.

They offer comfort, care and support to life-limited children, young people and their families, helping them make the most of the time they have left together.

You can sponsor my round-trip in Wales here:

https://www.justgiving.com/jozsefracz

Thursday 15 May 2014

Cardiff

LAST DAY on the road. Approx. 60 miles was waiting for me to complete my charity cycle. The fundraising was a very good motivation on the hard days, but the thought that this was the finish run, that today I would see my girlfriend and my friends who supported me all the time gave me an extra push to GO GO GO.
I am going to miss my Welsh discovery days, but I think ten days is just on the boundary between a long trip and a lifestyle. As I knew that I wouldn't stay on the road for months or years, for me that was the perfect amount of time to spend exploring the unknown and spreading Ty Hafan's message.




Between Llanelli to Swansea was a beautiful park. The cycle path was under the shade of trees touching above the road. Then a nice ride alongside the the sunny Swansea beach, and then... I thought I was back in the polluted part of Pančevo, Serbia. The cycle path led me through the industrial zone of Port Talbot, following the main road from roundabout to another. The first time that Route 4 left the main road, it went into the wild. The nice Margam Park is really worth a visit, but it didn't suit me either because it only had dirt roads, and as it slowed me down quite a lot, I decided to leave the National Cycling Route. I was too excited to get back to Cardiff, so I just got onto the main A48 road, and finished the last 25 miles of my 9 day long cycling trip in a sprint back to the city. Because of my need for speed I didn't stop to take any pictures, but to be honest that last chunk didn't have any new landscapes for me.
In Cardiff I got a welcoming applause from my housemates, and with that warm welcome my 9 days cycling +1 day resting trip around Wales came to its end. The time has come to lay back and open a beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment