The Cause

As the last chapter of my time spent in Wales I'll be doing a 10 day long sponsored cycle (5-15 May) round the country (approx. 1000 kilometres) to support Tŷ Hafan, a Wales based charity.

They offer comfort, care and support to life-limited children, young people and their families, helping them make the most of the time they have left together.

You can sponsor my round-trip in Wales here:

https://www.justgiving.com/jozsefracz

Monday 28 April 2014

Risca mistery

Learning from my mistake, this time I chose my destination based on the simplicity of the town's name, so that I wouldn't have the same problem I had on the way to Llantrisant the other day.
That's why I was heading to Risca this time. It wasn't easy to remember just because it's shorter; it also reminds me of the most popular Hungarian cow name "Riska" very much.
I wanted to test my orientation on a bigger scale - avoid any highways and big avenues; find a way out of the city in a very random place and continue the journey, avoiding busy roads.
The landscape is beautiful; the roads are peaceful. I don't meet anybody except horses and (probably not riska) cows. It is all very nice, but I still don't feel that I'm on the right track. No signs for a few miles, so I am following my senses.

Farmland pals

pink Hobbit house  and some landscape
I'm following it, following it. There are some signs here and there, but not the ones I am looking for; none of them leads to Risca. I don't give up, especially because there are such nice hills I can crawl up, so I continue following my senses. Then there is a sign saying Town Centre, straight on. Okay, even if it's not Risca I will go there, look around and cycle back to Cardiff.
I can see some towers of a castle from a distance, but I realise that I am in Caerphilly when I get to the same shop/café that we ran into last time before the thunderstorm.
flying above Castell Coch
That's never happened to me - heading to one place, and arriving at an other one in the opposite direction. Anyway, it was a good chance to buy some traditional Caerphilly cheese for dinner and to finally try out the tough Taff Trail through the woods, passing by Castell Coch, finishing the journey in the almighty Bute Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment